Time: 1 hour 40 min (15 min hands on, 30 minutes soak, 55 minute cook time)
1 loaf gluten-free bread (15 slices), cut into squares (I like Canyon Bakehouse)
1/2 cup semisweet chocolate chips
2 cups chocolate milk
2 eggs, beaten
1/4 cup butter, melted
2/3 cup coconut sugar
2 Tbsp maple syrup
6 Tbsp cocoa powder
1 tsp vanilla extract
1/4 teaspoon salt
8 strawberries, if desired
- Cut bread slices into squares and place in a greased 9X13 glass dish.
- Sprinkle chocolate chips on top of bread pieces.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine chocolate milk, eggs, melted butter, coconut sugar, maple syrup, cocoa powder, vanilla and salt. Mix until all of the ingredients are well-combined.*
- Pour liquid mixture over bread and chocolate chips, cover with foil and refrigerate for 30 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 350° and bake covered for 35 minutes. Remove foil and bake for another 20 minutes or until the dish is mostly set (it should only move slightly in the middle if you jiggle it). Let cool for 10 minutes before serving warm with fresh strawberry slices.
*If cocoa powder is not mixing well, consider using an immersion blender or high-speed blender to ensure all ingredients are mixed well!